We value each and every member of the Larkmead community, and each individual’s success comes from the right mix of support and challenge so that they can grow and achieve their ambitions. Our students have champions throughout the school who know them and nurture them. Our strong community ethos and the mutual benefit that comes from being part of something special enable each student to walk taller so that their horizons are broader.
This work is recognised by the health professionals who work with the school, our close work with The Abingdon Bridge and by parents who greatly value the impact of Larkmead’s caring community.
Hearteningly, Ofsted also recognised the strength of our values in action in their most recent visit:
- Pupils’ well-being and personal development, including their mental health, have a high priority and are very well catered for at your school.
- Comprehensive careers education helps pupils make wise decisions for their future.
- You work effectively with local independent schools to enhance and extend pupils’ experiences, for example through joint debating and careers events.
- One pupil, voicing the opinion of a group of pupils, said, ‘Teachers are comforting, always available to help and want you to do well in exams.’
- The sixth form is led strongly, providing an inclusive and encouraging environment where students make rapid progress
- A dedicated and highly skilled team of staff works with determination and sensitivity, alongside pupils, parents and external agencies, to support the more vulnerable pupils.
- Pupils told inspectors that staff are approachable and that they know an adult they can turn to if they have concerns.
- Leaders ensure that pupils with SEND are given prompt and effective help. As a result, most of these pupils now make strong progress and transfer successfully to the next steps in their education or training at the end of key stage 4.
- Careers advice and education are a strength of the school. Pupils are helped to make choices that ensure that they are prepared for a wide range of further or higher education and training.
- Parents and carers and pupils speak highly of the school. One parent observed that, ‘My child has blossomed at this school, and her confidence in her own ability to be successful has dramatically improved.’