Term 2 in the LRC – OBA, Robin Jarvis, Book Fair, KLQ
Oxfordshire Book Awards (OBA)
Book Club students attended the annual Awards Ceremony of the Oxfordshire Book Awards on 9th November at Oxford High School. We had an array of authors accepting their awards (all voted for by Oxfordshire School Students). Book club members had read and voted for their favourite from the shortlisted secondary novels. Students had the opportunity to purchase books and meet with the authors. There was also cake!
Winners of the Awards were:
- Best Secondary Book was awarded to Jo Cotterill for A Library of Lemons.
- Highly Commended Secondary Book was awarded to Katharine Rundell for The Wolf Wilder.
- Best Primary Book was awarded to David Baddiel for The Person Controller.
- Highly Commended Primary Book was awarded to Kiran Millwood Hargrave for The Girl of Ink and Stars.
- Best Picture Book was awarded to Emma Yarlett for Nibbles the Book Monster and Highly Commended Picture Book was awarded to Julia Donaldson for The Detective Dog.
Author Talk – Robin Jarvis
Larkmead librarians hosted an Author Talk by Robin Jarvis for our Year 7s along with students from Caldecott School and St Helen & St Katharine School on Monday 13th November.
His was a captivating, insightful, creative, spooky session.
Scholastic Book Fair
Another successful Scholastic Book Fair was held in the LRC week of 14th -21st November.
We had students managing the Book Stands, promoting the items for sale – Thank you!
BIG Thanks to all of the students, staff and parents who made it a great success; we sold £405 of items resulting in £162 to spend with Scholastic for books for the School Library.
Look out for the new resources in January!
Kids Lit Quiz (KLQ)
This year’s qualifying quiz was held in the LRC in October; our Y7s & Y8s battled it out for the honour of representing Larkmead School at the Regional Kids Lit Quiz at Cokethorpe School on Thursday 30th November 2017.
Larkmead’s Year 8 team, of 4 students, who entered this year’s Oxfordshire Regional Heat of the KLQ International Literary Quiz, , known as ‘the sport of reading’ were;
- Virginia Bentley, Edward Frank, Isabel Sadler, Daniel Pearl
It was an afternoon of Accidents, Spiders, Insects, Twins, Education, Folktales (just some of the 10 category rounds). Our team were supported by Larkmead’s ‘Bird Watchers’ (our runners up to the team).
Our team achieved 9th position out of 23 teams, an excellent achievement! Well Done.
The winning team, Oxford High School, will now represent Oxfordshire in the UK Finals on Tuesday 5th December. We wish them well, should they win they will be off to New Zealand!
To round off the year we have our annual Christmas Quiz on Friday 8th December.
Everything & anything about CHRISTMAS!