Carnegie Forum 2018
The annual Abingdon Schools Joint Carnegie Forum was a great success on Monday 18th June.
18 Larkmead School students attended this annual event; which is the culmination of all of the reading and review work that has taken place from March 2018 to June. Pupils form groups (with other students from across all of the Six Secondary Schools in Abingdon) to discuss the books and work towards a joint presentation representing their favourite book from this year’s shortlist.
Meanwhile, judges from the literary world were hidden away assessing and judging the best of the book reviews that students had written since March.
Our judges this year included:
- Chris Barker, Ex-School Librarian
- Gerald Dickens, Actor/Storyteller
- Sarah Dennis, Mostly Books, Abingdon Store Owner
- Lee Sterrey (Author based in Banbury)
- David Heywood (Editor, Brown’s Books)
The Event concluded with an Awards session at the end of the day.
Larkmead scooped up the following Awards from the 7 Books Read:
- Ed Frank won Best Book Review Award for the book The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas
- Virginia (Ginny) Bentley received the Highly Commended Book Review Award for the book: The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas
- Stefan Trnjakov won Best Book Review Award for the book: Rook, Anthony McGowan
- Isabel Sadler won Best Contributor in her presentation group for the book After The Fire, Will Hill
- Barnaby Merriman won Best Book Review Award for the book Wed Wabbit, Lissa Evans
- Virginia (Ginny) Bentley won Best Book Review Award for Beyond the Bright Sea, Lauren Wolk (with her brutally honest review!)
- Isabella MacQueen won Best Contributor in her Presentation Group for the Book: Beyond the Bright Sea, Lauren Wolk
- Ed Frank received Highly Commended Book Review Award for the book: Where the World Ends, Geraldine McCaughrean
The Abingdon Carnegie Forum voted The Hate U Give, Angie Thomas as their winner of this year’s Carnegie Medal whereas this year’s official winner was Where the World Ends by Geraldine McCaughrean.
There was of course Carnegie Cake too!
Well Done to all!
Please click on the link to the Carnegie website for further official information.